Monday, August 25, 2014

Vintage Custom Mixed Red Hutch

Hey everyone. 
 
Every once in a while you find a piece of furniture that is just so super amazing and like nothing you have ever seen before and this hutch definitely fits the bill.
 


 

 

 
 
I absolutely love how it has both drop leaves and a front tray that pulls out. It's just the perfect combination of hutch and buffet.
 
 
 
 When I bought the hutch it was in great structural condition, but just needed a bit of an update.
 
 
 
For some reason, every time I thought about this piece red came to mind. I ended up custom mixing this shade. It is roughly a 50/50 mix of General Finishes Holiday Red and Brick Red. I kind of love it. Which is good, because for the first time....seriously I swear I have never done this....I dropped the can of paint on my driveway. I am going to be looking at that shade of red for a long time to come.
 
 
 
 
 
So, my complete plan for this hutch was to start with a coat of General Finishes Lamp Black. Then two coats of my custom red. I lightly distressed the piece and finished it with poly.
 
 
 
Additionally, I left some portions of the hutch with its original stain. I freshened those areas by using some Howards Restor-A-Finish
 
 
 
I'm so in love with how this one came out. It sold pretty immediately which was a great bonus. I love that I have this opportunity and creative outlet to paint and sell furniture!
 
 


7 comments:

  1. Angela, love the red you came up with - perfect for such a piece! Sorry about the spilled paint, but just think...it'll always remind you of the great job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a girl after my own heart. I have a hard time NOT mixing colors!! haha! I love this hutch! What a great find. I think I am in love with the drop-leaves...... Oh my.... Woot-woot! :)
    xox, Crystelle
    CrystelleBoutique

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a fantastic job with this one Angela!! You really have such a gift for making and creating!! Here is to a lovely week! This piece is beautiful!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I'd love a piece like this in grey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela what a great piece and color. Love the fact that those pieces extend. Check out post of the new house starting to get decked out.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.