Monday, April 21, 2014

Easy DIY Wood Succulent Planter

Monday again! I hope you all had a fantastic Easter. Ours was chill and relaxed, just like I wanted. I made brunch, which ended up being a late lunch because, as much as I love to cook, I never start the entire process early enough.
Anyway, you all know our home is filled with plants.  They bring such life and warmth to a room and really add a perfect finishing layer to a design.



This project is so simple, unique and rustic. LOVE it!



Here's what you'll need: a split piece of wood that is flat on one side (like the firewood that comes bundled at the grocery store), a drill with a router bit (I used a 1 inch), a tiny succulent and a little bit of cactus soil.



Using the router bit, make two holes in the wood right next to each other. Make sure to not go all the way through the wood! The reason that I did two holes was so that I could achieve a more organic look, as if the log had been worn away in that spot. To connect the two holes simply use the router bit at an angle (rather than straight down as you typically would.
After you've drilled a hole an appropriate size, carefully plant the succulent and add in extra soil as needed.
Keep in a sunny spot and water sparingly! From my experience, succulents need very little water. (Especially in this case where the traditional layers of drainage have not been provided.) You can read all about succulent and cacti planting here.



You know what! I have so much to share with you all, but every single project is in process right now and not at all exciting! I've been making progress in our master bedroom (hoping to share that tomorrow). Also, I had some work done on the trim and our exterior doors last week. I'll be sharing all of that once I get everything painted. What have you all have been working on? Have you moved outside to tackle projects there since the weather is finally cooperating?







12 comments:

  1. I love this and I don't think my husband even knows I have plants in the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, such a different take on a planter :) xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is soooo cool friend! I love the rustic quality to that piece of wood paired with that succulent!!! Very stunning! I'm glad you had a good Easter! Good luck on those projects...can't wait to see them! Here is to a great week!! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just adorable! And so unique :)
    I just redid my little back porch for spring...we've finally had a few warmer days!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute idea and a great alternative use for those pieces of fire wood I have that I've never used . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, I really, really love this idea!!! So wonderfully rustic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project. A bit less frou-frou and a bit more manly too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome - it looks stunning! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.