Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Crafting {Repurposed Decorations}

We got a new, much larger artificial tree for our living room this year.  You can see what I did with our old tree here.

Anyway, I thought the new tree needed something large and festive to balance out the height of it.

Enter my white, glittery, sparkly Merry Christmas garland.





It really started out looking like this and was plucked straight out of my very own tag sale pile.  Totally not my style, right?




This was a super easy craft and the transformation was pretty dramatic!


 
 
 
All I did was remove the ribbon and painted each letter in gesso (to give it a good foundation to work with). I let it dry and then painted on a couple of coats of white paint.  Believe it or not, I used paint I had left over from the MyColor™ inspired by Pantone® Painting Party that I was involved in back in October!  When the white paint was dry I painted on regular school glue and liberally dusted with glitter.  One more drying session and then I was able to restring the garland with twine.




I love the simplicity of my new garland!


I'll be sharing my project at the next installment of the 'Tis the Season Holiday Link Party over at It's OverflowingI hope you'll join us!
 
A Holiday Linky Party Is Coming Your Way!




Linking to: DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreamingMod Vintage Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special A Delightsome LifeBoogieboard Cottage”FallFridays Unfolded
It's Overflowing



























20 comments:

  1. Very pretty. The pure frosty white stands out so well on the tree! Wonderful job!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, That looks really cute. I love the glitter you applied. A great garland for your tree- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect project. Love how you re used your very own goodies. The white is magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela, What a great idea & I love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, I love this. I never thought about doing something with words on my tree. I have to agree done in white is much more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I love it in sparkly white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from Kim's,so pretty and love the sparkly white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to be reminded to think outside the box... and paint makes a huge difference! What a pretty and fun garland! Thanks for the tip about using gesso!
    See you Saturday for the Christmas Tree linky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea! I have something very similar that I did not pull out. I think it is calling for a makeover!:) Thanx for joining THT. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Holidays from my home to yours! This is absolutely lovely. I am visiting you via Wow Us Wednesdays and I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angela, that is very original. I have never seen a word garland on a Christmas tree. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty Angela...thank you for sharing such great idea ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. great looking garland...such a lovely transformation.
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful! I love how it looks on your tree! The white mixed with the golds is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very pretty!! i love how it sparkles in your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! S simple and cute! Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday on my blog..it is sill,up and running.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too fun, we all need to think like this and repurpose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute - a great repurpose!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.