Sunday, September 23, 2012

Dramatic Dining Room Hutch Transformation

I've been working on my dining room for a couple of months now and I'm finally seeing it all come together.  My plans for the room changed from my original thoughts that I wrote about here, but I am so in love with the space and all the elements that have been included.
 
One reason that things didn't go as planned was because we couldn't sell our large hutch.  We called every consignment store, estate buyer and listed it on craigslist, but there was just no interest. 
 
My husband originally wanted to use just the bottom piece in the room and store the large upper portion in the garage. 
 
I lived with it like this for awhile, but the scale of the furniture was all wrong in the room and it killed me to have the top of the hutch rotting away in our old garage.  Eventually, I convinced my husband to let me paint the piece and remove the doors for open shelving and I am so happy he agreed because this is what I came up with.
 
 


We bought a lot of new furniture in the late 1990s when we got married.  Below you can see how the hutch originally looked.  The dark wood was way too heavy in the room and totally overwhelmed the space.
 



Painted white, the hutch just seems to fade away and blend into the space.



I kept the doors off of the upper part of the hutch to make it more open and give the illusion of free floating shelves.



The shelves show off my thrifted collections so wonderfully; I just love having my decanters, silver and white pottery out on display.  And, because I shop mostly at thrift stores, it did not cost me a lot to fill this cabinet.



A close up of the bottom. I just love how the details show with the distressing, plus I changed the knobs. I absolutely love the knobs.



Here are some close up shots of how I styled the shelves:




I used my rusty birdcage to corral all of my silver and pewter creamers and sugar bowls.



I'm pretty sure that everything happens for a reason because I could not love this piece of furniture any more than I do now.  I'm so glad it didn't sell and that I had the opportunity to transform it.

Be sure to stop by next week as I will be revealing my entire dining room makeover.  Also, for more inspiration check out my Delightful Dining Rooms, DIY for the Home - Transforming Wood and Furniture with Paint and Displaying Collections boards on Pinterest.

Angela
A Delightsome Life Boogieboard Cottage Too Much Time On My Hands Primitive and ProperNew House Hubby Made Mebutton Fridays Unfolded SixSistersStuff.com PhotobucketOr so she says

 
http://www.carterscottage.net/


 
 
 

50 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, Angela. Pretty soon all those consignment shops will be begging for pieces like this, when people see your transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference! It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful. Love all your collections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely! I am the same way...we had an old, dark, dated headboard that I TRIED to sell. But, noone wanted it so, painted it and Boy! Oh Boy! do I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela, It looks amazing - beautiful idea to take the doors off. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this room. Also, I enjoy your Pinterest boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anne! I always appreciate your encouraging comments. Have a great week!

      Angela

      Delete
  6. What a transformation. It looks great painted. You did such a wonderful job. I love your collections in the hutch too.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out great! I love the distressing and how the details pop out now that it's painted. Things do happen for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy what a difference, I can't believe you couldn't sell it, but thank goodness you didn't :) Love how you thing are displayed. Hope to see the rest of the room come together.
    I stopped over from Debbiedoo's and am now a follower.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - this is a beautiful transformation! I can hardly believe its the same piece of furniture. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, can't believe the difference your transformation makes. I have the same identical hutch but am not nearly as brave as you. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your before and after! I Just finished a similar hutch come see!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Painting it white was a good idea, but distressing it was even better. It now has a distinct personality that I think was lacking before the transformation. In the befores I never even noticed the mirrors on the back or how beautiful the details were around the lower doors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angela, this is a great inspiration piece! I bought a large china hutch over the weekend from a thrift store and started sanding it yesterday. I LOVE the white, so crisp and clean. Thanks, Angela @ Mrs. White Twig and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing what white paint can do! it looks beautiful and soft and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! I love the distressed job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!!! Love how it turned out. Stopping over from Twirl & Take a Bow Party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeousness, Angela! Beautiful transformation!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your hutch is beautiful. I love the way you've displayed everything too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Stunning transformation! Would love for you to link up to My Monday Muse at Carter's Cottage!
    Visiting from Primp!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This piece looks so fabulous! Hard to believe it's the same hutch. Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! It'a drama deluxe! It's fabulous and I'm almost green! Thank you for sharing your fabulous Fall inspiration and creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a fabulous transformation
    you wrought on this piece

    saw you over At The Picket Fence
    and had to stop by

    thanks for sharing!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a huge project but what a gorgeous transformation, Angela--I love it with the doors off, and the distressed areas on the woodwork really turned out nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Angela-
    I recently bought a china hutch from my local thrift store and am in the process of painting it white. I’m using your china hutch as one of my inspiration pieces! I’ve included a picture and a link to your blog on Mrs. White Twig & Tea today. Thanks so much! -Angela @ http://mrswhitetwigandtea.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. A great piece. I love your take on it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is one amazing transformation. What a great looking piece of furniture.
    Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh...this looks wonderful. Such a difference. I wouldn't want it in my home as it was....but paint it white and its a showpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful hutch. It looks like it was meant to be this way. YOu did a lovely job and filling it perfectly. Truly a masterpiece. You will have so much fun decorating it for the holidays. I love it!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the hutch transformation,it just goes to show what can be done.
    blessings,
    Bernice from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  30. She's just so beautiful...I love paint and love your new beautiful hutch...thank you for sharing...xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's beautiful and I love how you removed the doors to open it up more!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE this! Taking the doors off was genious in really opening the piece up and making it bright and light. I think it is perfect and wish I had this in my home to showcase treasures in. Cant wait to look aorund more.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, that IS dramatic. Looks a million times better!! I would love to have you come share your great ideas at the link party at 'Or so she says...', happening right now. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful dramatic dining room hutch on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love it!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, what a transformation! It is stuffing. Beautiful job! Thank you for joining TTF last week. Hope to see you again. Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Featuring your beautiful hutch on this weeks All Star Block Party! It's GORGEOUS!!

    http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/10/all-star-block-party-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. SO SO pretty! What a huge transformation!

    I've shared this on my FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazing transformation Angela.
    Thank you for linking up this week at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a difference the white made! Thank you so much for sharing at my party. -K

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've been working on my dining room for a couple of months now and I'm ... diningroomhutch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.